Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Planning my trip


Things are starting to come together on the planning of my first solo adventure - actually, it's pretty much my first adventure, period. But the first of many, and I'm incredibly excited for it all. I know things will go wrong, but I also think a lot of things are going to go amazingly well and it will be yet another life changing experience. I can't wait.

My plan so far is to leave pretty much right after Christmas, I think maybe Jan 2nd... but I guess it all depends on flights. I'm going to fly to Quito, the capital of Ecuador, where I'll be staying for at least a month. I'm going to stay at The Secret Garden hostel (http://www.secretgardenquito.com/), and hopefully get a volunteer gig there (you can work for them, and stay for free!!!).

While there, I'm going to be learning Spanish (offered as part of the volunteer gig), and hopefully also doing some volunteer work with children. I may be in Ecuador for 2 or 3 months, I'm not sure yet... but from there, I'm going to do some traveling around Central or South America, probably for the last month of my stay - probably Peru and Chile, traveling along the Pacific coast, or in the opposite direction up through Central America, maybe Panama and Guatemala.


I'll be returning to Canada at the end of April, so that I won't miss my best friend's wedding, or my sister's graduation. And then I guess I'll be heading back to school, but we'll see.

2 comments:

John Barrie said...

You will love The Secret Garden. If it is full let them know you plan on volunteering and they will probably put you up next door or down the street. This is worth it because you still get access to the rooftop which is where everyone meets and has meals together.

We stayed there 2004 - 2005 and it was the very best. We took Spanish lessons with Marta who really knew her stuff.

BTW I enjoyed the photo you posted, it is from our stay there. Let Tarquin know I have blogged about TSG and sent a bunch of folks his way. If there is any file on the computer of old photos, please let me know. My son's camera was stolen so we don't have many photos from our trip. The staff at TSG took a bunch of photos of us on New Year and I'd like to get a copy. (long shot I know, but worth a try)

Have Fun!

meghan said...

To John, if he ever has a chance to read this, thank you so much for your post! I'm really excited to hear from someone who has stayed at The Secret Garden, I'm so glad to hear you had a good time there! I'd love to hear any advice you have about traveling around Ecuador, specifically Quito.